MINUTE OF THE PLENARY MEETING OF THE SENTENCE REVIEW COMMISSIONERS HELD ON 11 DECEMBER 2008
Present: Sir John Blelloch Joint Chairman; Mr Brian Currin, Joint Chairman
Dr Adrian Grounds, Dr Silvia Casale, Mr Donal McFerran, Ms Clodach McGrory,Mrs Mary Gilpin, Dr Peter Curran, Dr Duncan Morrow
Moya Cushley, Secretary to the Commissioners
Kerry McIlwaine, Secretary, Laura Foley, Secretariat
Apologies: Ian Dunbar
Guest Speaker: Mrs Sheila Ward, NIO Pay Services.
- Mrs Shelia Ward advised the Commissioners of a change in payroll status. She explained how this would impact on the Commissioners with regard to tax, pay and expenses.
- The note and minutes of the previous meeting were approved.
- The Commissioners heard a report on the current position regarding data handling and storage.
- The Commissioners were provided with an update on the meeting which took place between nominated Commissioners and the Attorney General's Office. At this meeting the Attorney General's Office advised that the Special Advocate Register has now been ‘opened up' to include some highly vetted junior counsels. This will create a larger pool of special advocates which will help generate support within the group. The quality and accuracy of damaging information was also discussed during this meeting and the Attorney General's Office agreed to raise these issues with the NIO.
- Jurisdiction was discussed in light of the Brady Judgment. In effect, jurisdiction moves from the Sentence Review Commissioners to the Parole Commissioners once the Tariff has expired.
- The current position of each case within the Sentence Review was discussed.
- Commissioners heard a report on staffing changes and restructuring within the Secretariat.
11 December 2008.